It's also important to take precautions to prevent serious injuries and stay warm.
Every sport requires different levels of fitness and uses different muscle groups. Remember, just because you were able to do one particular activity for an hour during the summer doesn't mean you can participate for the same amount of time in a winter sport.
So what do I do to make winter activities fun?
Here are some tips to keep in mind when taking on winter sports:
- Don't do it alone. Always have someone else present in case you need help.
- Stay in shape and keep your body ready for a new exercise.
- Warm up your muscles and stretch before exercising. Cold muscles are more likely to sustain an injury such as torn tendons and ligaments.
- Wear appropriate gear, including layers of clothes, protective equipment and appropriate footwear.
- Know your limitation. If you belong on the bunny slopes, don't try the black diamond slopes.
Sound off! What sports do you enjoy during the winter and how do you warm up?