When prescription drugs are no longer needed, you need to dispose of them in a safe manner. The best way to do this is by taking them to a prescription drop box or other medication take-back program in your area.
If there are no take-back programs in your area, and there are no specific disposal instructions on the label, you can follow these simple steps to dispose of most medicines in the household trash:
- Take the medicines out of the bottles
- Do not flush down the toilet
- Mix medicines (do not crush tablets or capsules) with unappealing substances such as dirt, kitty litter, or used coffee grounds;
- Seal the mixture in a disposable bag and throw away.
- Scratch out all personal information on the prescription label of your empty pill bottle or empty medicine packaging to make it unreadable, then dispose of it.